#1457344 Creation/deletion of folders

Robin Elfrink

Hi all,

Please test the attached patch, which should (finally) fix everything in
#1457344.

Robin

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/yG/UJWyfb6Y/_1457344.20071017164.patch
 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---

Re: #1457344 Creation/deletion of folders

Robin Elfrink
Robin Elfrink wrote:

> Please test the attached patch, which should (finally) fix everything in
> #1457344.

Please note that this patch is against SVN r881.

#1457344 is one of the last tickets to close before releasing 1.0-rc2,
which will make all of us happy :)

Robin

Re: #1457344 Creation/deletion of folders

Thomas Bruederli
2007/10/17, Robin Elfrink <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all,
>
> Please test the attached patch, which should (finally) fix everything in
> #1457344.

Hi Robin

Your patch looks good so far. The only thing I'd like to add is to set
the UI busy while submitting the rename request. That simply means to
set the third parameter of this.http_post('rename-folder') to true.
Please add this to your patch and feel free to commit it.

One more thing to mention is the warning/information to display when
adding a new folder and having one folder selected. I'm not sure if
the user is aware that the new folder will be created as a subfolder
of the selected one. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this
assumption.

~Thomas

On Oct 17, 2007, at 6:58 PM, Thomas Bruederli wrote:

> Your patch looks good so far. The only thing I'd like to add is to set
> the UI busy while submitting the rename request. That simply means to
> set the third parameter of this.http_post('rename-folder') to true.
> Please add this to your patch and feel free to commit it.

Will do.

> One more thing to mention is the warning/information to display when
> adding a new folder and having one folder selected. I'm not sure if
> the user is aware that the new folder will be created as a subfolder
> of the selected one. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this
> assumption.

I thought of that. I think, as a user, I'd rather have a bit of help
text somewhere, than a popup coming every time I do something.

Robin

tfk

On 10/17/07, Robin Elfrink <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2007, at 6:58 PM, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>
> > Your patch looks good so far. The only thing I'd like to add is to set
> > the UI busy while submitting the rename request. That simply means to
> > set the third parameter of this.http_post('rename-folder') to true.
> > Please add this to your patch and feel free to commit it.
>
> Will do.
>

> > One more thing to mention is the warning/information to display when
> > adding a new folder and having one folder selected. I'm not sure if
> > the user is aware that the new folder will be created as a subfolder
> > of the selected one. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this
> > assumption.
>
> I thought of that. I think, as a user, I'd rather have a bit of help
> text somewhere, than a popup coming every time I do something.

Yeah, I agree. Popups can be annoying, though you probably don't use
this every day.

Till

Robin Elfrink wrote:

>> One more thing to mention is the warning/information to display when
>> adding a new folder and having one folder selected. I'm not sure if
>> the user is aware that the new folder will be created as a subfolder
>> of the selected one. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this
>> assumption.
>
> I thought of that. I think, as a user, I'd rather have a bit of help
> text somewhere, than a popup coming every time I do something.

I was not talking of a popup but probably having a text below the input box
stating that the folder will be created as a subfolder of ....

Because it's hard to unselect a line from the folders table a checkbox
could be added which lets the user select whether the new folder should
become a subfolder or a top-level folder.

~Thomas

On Oct 18, 2007, at 8:55 AM, Thomas Bruederli wrote:

> I was not talking of a popup but probably having a text below the
> input box
> stating that the folder will be created as a subfolder of ....

That's better than a popup, yes.

> Because it's hard to unselect a line from the folders table a checkbox
> could be added which lets the user select whether the new folder
> should
> become a subfolder or a top-level folder.

Hmm, at one point I had that, selecting a selected folder would
unselect it. I'll put that back in. And add a line like 'folder wil
be created as subfolder of...' below the input box.

Robin

Re: #1457344 Creation/deletion of folders

Robin Elfrink
Thomas Bruederli wrote:

I just commited r887, which fixes most of the remaining issues of #1457344.

> I was not talking of a popup but probably having a text below the input box
> stating that the folder will be created as a subfolder of ....

I'm not sure how to go about that.

> Because it's hard to unselect a line from the folders table a checkbox
> could be added which lets the user select whether the new folder should
> become a subfolder or a top-level folder.

Not hard anymore, I added option 'toggleselect' to the list object. If
true, when clicked on a selected row, it unselects that row.

Robin