Caldav/Carddav

Emmanuel Revah
Hello,

I'm sorry if this question has been many times asked, I've searched and
found a few things that may seem outdated, messy and/or overcomplicated
to maintain...

The result I'm trying to get: Roundcube with calendars and contacts that
are available through Caldav/Carddav protocols, so users can switch
between RC and Thuderbird or "smartphone" clients with ease.

So far I found I could integrate OwnCloud within RC, but that seems a
bit overkill (and comes with other issues), or I could install Radicale,
Davical or some other *Dav thing and then figure out how to get it to
work within RC (I found a Carddav client plugin). Other ideas include
moving my whole system to Kolab, or perhaps just moving from Dovecot to
Cyrus (which seems to be how Kolab works). The latter solutions would
imply RC *dav client plugins which doesn't seem to be the case for the
default calendar plugin (backend types don't include caldav).

So the question is, what's the simplest well documented way to achieve
this (if possible) ?

Cheers,

--
Emmanuel Revah

Re: Caldav/Carddav

Emmanuel Revah
On 2016/12/27 11:59, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:
> Hi there,

Hello,

> [...] you have found at least one other interested party on this
> mailing
> list :)

Cool. Let's see what people have working and what can be done.

>> The result I'm trying to get: Roundcube with calendars and contacts
>> that are available through Caldav/Carddav protocols, so users can
>> switch between RC and Thuderbird or "smartphone" clients with ease.
>
> I tried with OwnCloud first, but the calendar refused to work
> correctly with some other clients and the mail app is very limited, so
> I switched back to DAViCal as a caldav and carddav backend and have
> installed RoundCube as a frontend for both email and carddav (through
> the plugin that you mentioned). I have not been so lucky with the
> caldav-plugin, and apparently it is not working anymore with newer
> versions of RoundCube (although I don't remember where I have read
> this).

This is my main concern, up maintaining and so on.

BTW, if you have tips on using DAViCal I'd be happy to see them (I'm
using Postfix/virtual), you can send them here or off-list.

> Currently I'm using InfCloud (caldav/carddav frontend) next to
> RoundCube (email/carddav frontend), but if someone can show me the
> road to integration-heaven, I'm all ears.

Another person replied to me as well (off-list, and I think it's
possible that the ML software doesn't "do it's thing properly" (reply-to
uses the original sender and not the ML's address)) saying he uses
Roundcube with Davical and Agendav which works well. For both of you,
despite using only RC as the web interface, you need an extra bit
(Agendav or InfCloud)... .

It would seem that all we're missing is CalDav client support for at
least a one-solution web front.

Cheers and thanks for your replies,

---
Emmanuel Revah

Re: Caldav/Carddav

Vincent Van Houtte
On 2016-12-28 10:06, Emmanuel Revah wrote:

> Cool. Let's see what people have working and what can be done.
>
>>> The result I'm trying to get: Roundcube with calendars and contacts
>>> that are available through Caldav/Carddav protocols, so users can
>>> switch between RC and Thuderbird or "smartphone" clients with ease.
>>
>> I tried with OwnCloud first, but the calendar refused to work
>> correctly with some other clients and the mail app is very limited, so
>> I switched back to DAViCal as a caldav and carddav backend and have
>> installed RoundCube as a frontend for both email and carddav (through
>> the plugin that you mentioned). I have not been so lucky with the
>> caldav-plugin, and apparently it is not working anymore with newer
>> versions of RoundCube (although I don't remember where I have read
>> this).
>
> This is my main concern, up maintaining and so on.
>
> BTW, if you have tips on using DAViCal I'd be happy to see them (I'm
> using Postfix/virtual), you can send them here or off-list.

If you're using Debian, then the packages davical and libawl-php should
be installed from the backports repo. It's extremely easy to follow the
DAViCal installation guide and you'll be up and running in no time.
Since this is not the place to discuss DAViCal, I'll send you my Apache
virtualhost config privately. Combined with some DNS rules for
autodiscovery, LDAP (and maybe Kerberos, which I haven't tried yet) for
authentication and Let's Encrypt for SSL certificates, it's a robust
platform. The only thing that is missing really is scheduling with
external people, but a good calendaring client should be able to take
care of this without the need for server-specific features.

> Another person replied to me as well (off-list, and I think it's
> possible that the ML software doesn't "do it's thing properly"
> (reply-to uses the original sender and not the ML's address))

My reply to the mailing list was bounced - you received the email
because you are automatically cc-ed by RoundCube.

> It would seem that all we're missing is CalDav client support for at
> least a one-solution web front.

With every release, the Nextcloud platform is getting closer to reaching
that one-solution webfront. I didn't try it (very) recently, but if they
nail the 'remote calendar' and 'remote addressbook' functionality, you
could just keep using DAViCal and your mailserver software as the
backend and travel back and forth between RoundCube+InfCloud and
NextCloud as the frontend until one or the other has prevailed.

Vincent

Re: Caldav/Carddav

Emmanuel Revah
On 2016/12/28 10:41, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:
> On 2016-12-28 10:06, Emmanuel Revah wrote:
[...]

> If you're using Debian, then the packages davical and libawl-php
> should be installed from the backports repo. It's extremely easy to
> follow the DAViCal installation guide and you'll be up and running in
> no time. Since this is not the place to discuss DAViCal, I'll send you
> my Apache virtualhost config privately. Combined with some DNS rules
> for autodiscovery, LDAP (and maybe Kerberos, which I haven't tried
> yet) for authentication and Let's Encrypt for SSL certificates, it's a
> robust platform. The only thing that is missing really is scheduling
> with external people, but a good calendaring client should be able to
> take care of this without the need for server-specific features.

Thanks. I'll have a look. I'm using MySQL for authentication, everyone
(Postfix, Dovecot, Amavis and even Ejabberd) use the same DB... maybe
it's time I learn LDAP (I don't really want to...).

>> Another person replied to me as well (off-list, and I think it's
>> possible that the ML software doesn't "do it's thing properly"
>> (reply-to uses the original sender and not the ML's address))
>
> My reply to the mailing list was bounced - you received the email
> because you are automatically cc-ed by RoundCube.

Indeed, I think there was an issue with the list the other day, I got a
few bounces with various errors, until it went through (I got some other
errors, this message was originally sent last year, I'm resending...).

I might just wait out the whole *Dav thing for now (I'm writing/updating
a mailserver setup/tool), though I can and will setup a platform for
testing purposes.

Cheers,

--
Emmanuel Revah