Dark Theme

@lbutlr
The new theme is very grey on white and difficult for me to read. Is there any chance of getting a dark theme that is along the lines of Elastic in functionality without being so white?

Or maybe there is already something out there I can install?

(Larry is visually OK for me, but not great, I would prefer something that was dark background with white text).

--
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Re: Dark Theme

Dave Nelson (dave@dalek.zone)
Hi,

I have been developing a dark theme and would like to contribute it back
to the community.

It is essentially based on the colors and style of the Breeze Dark theme
available for the KDE desktop enironment on Ubuntu Linux.

But it is currently rather 'hacky' insofar as I started trying to
develop the theme using the less css files but found that trying to
apply colors using color.less produced uninteded results in other syles
of the RC interface.

So much of the code is in _styles.less, as a simple override to the
various other *.less files.

It's actually quite complicated trying to produce a dark theme from the
current white-ish Elastic theme, because quite a few styles and elements
of the interface do not have font colors appiled. They depend on default
values.

I would love to finish this theme in line with the dev team's philosophy
for RC themes, but I would need quite a bit of advice. There is not much
documentation on theming RC...

I have enclosed a couple of screenshots. I don't know if the mailing
list software will let them throuph.

All comments welcome.

With all best wishos,

Dave

On 2020-01-05 20:21, @lbutlr wrote:
> The new theme is very grey on white and difficult for me to read. Is
> there any chance of getting a dark theme that is along the lines of
> Elastic in functionality without being so white?
>
> Or maybe there is already something out there I can install?
>
> (Larry is visually OK for me, but not great, I would prefer something
> that was dark background with white text).

Screenshot_20200105_211500.png (177K) Download Attachment
Screenshot_20200105_211611.png (195K) Download Attachment
0xA4FB3059.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Dark Theme

Mark Constable
On 6/1/20 5:31 am, Dave Nelson ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I have been developing a dark theme and would like to contribute it
> back to the community. [...] I have enclosed a couple of screenshots.
Hi Dave, I'm just an interested bystander who would also love to see
an official dark theme become available. Your screenshots look great
and very close to being usable. If that blue highlight is the same as
the light themes original then that is pretty cool that it mostly works
in a dark theme as well!

My only personal criticism is that I find the Breeze Dark colors too
"cold" and being a Plasma user myself I need to apply a custom set of
warmer dark colors to the default Breeze Dark theme.

I find these dark colors below provide a slightly "warmer" feel,
somewhat similar but not as "brown" as the Sublime Text editor...

#0f0e0d - #1f1e1d - #2f2e2d - #3f3e3d - etc

I also find that the slight Blue color reduction is helpful for reducing
eyestrain.

FWIW.

--
Mark Constable
0419 530 037

Re: Dark Theme

@lbutlr
On 05 Jan 2020, at 12:31, Dave Nelson ([hidden email]) <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have enclosed a couple of screenshots. I don't know if the mailing list software will let them throuph.

This is exactly what I want. This is what my current mail window looks like:

But sometimes I need to do things in roundcube and the glaring white is terrible.

--
I do believe Marsellus Wallace, my husband, your boss, told you to
take *me* out and do *whatever I wanted*. Now I wanna dance, I

Re: Dark Theme

Marc Roos

Looks nice. Would be nice if it could be made like this that this
Elastic theme, can switch automatically to Dark on the evening clock.

Hope you get in contact with the developers. Did you already fork the
roundcube project on github? This way you can show the development team
easily what changes you applied. You can also change the Elastic theme
so it is easier to migrate to the dark theme. Developers are then able
to see your changes and approve them to be merged with the master.

On 2020-01-05 20:21, @lbutlr wrote:
> The new theme is very grey on white and difficult for me to read. Is
> there any chance of getting a dark theme that is along the lines of
> Elastic in functionality without being so white?
>
> Or maybe there is already something out there I can install?
>
> (Larry is visually OK for me, but not great, I would prefer something
> that was dark background with white text).

Re: Dark Theme

Dave Nelson (dave@dalek.zone)
Hi, I will put it on Github in the next day or so, and then I will write
back here. More soon,
Dave