Filtering junk mail

Christine Kluka

Hi,

I have Roundcube Version 0.1-rc1, with a junk mail folder.  How do I filter
junk mail (to deliver junk mail to the junk mail folder instead of my
inbox)?  My junk mail is usually marked Spam by MailScanner, and there are
other criteria I could apply to filter other messages if I knew what to
configure.

I've used procmail in the past to make sure junk mail was delivered to a
mail folder other than my inbox, but only with POP3 clients.
Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

believed to be clean.

Re: Filtering junk mail

Alex Walker

I still use procmail for this.  On the server that's running roundcube, I
put the following in my .procmailrc - I use bogofilter, with 3 states, so I
filter into 2 different places as you can see...

:0:

:0:
spam/unsure

Hope that helps

Alex

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:31:06 -0800, Christine Kluka
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Roundcube Version 0.1-rc1, with a junk mail folder.  How do I
> filter
> junk mail (to deliver junk mail to the junk mail folder instead of my
> inbox)?  My junk mail is usually marked Spam by MailScanner, and there
are

> other criteria I could apply to filter other messages if I knew what to
> configure.
>
> I've used procmail in the past to make sure junk mail was delivered to a
> mail folder other than my inbox, but only with POP3 clients.
> Recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance

> believed to be clean.

Re: Filtering junk mail

Luciano M. Guasco
On Friday 31 August 2007 06:29:52 Alex Walker wrote:

> I still use procmail for this.  On the server that's running roundcube, I
> put the following in my .procmailrc - I use bogofilter, with 3 states, so I
> filter into 2 different places as you can see...
>
> :0:

> :0:

> spam/unsure
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Alex
I'm using procmail too, in my machine to move mails marked as spam. But the
problem I have, is that all the users of the server want a kind of spam
filter in Roundcube, because they want to redirect the spam marked mails to
another folder than inbox, and they are simple users so they can't use
procmail. May be exists some implementation of filters in roundcube? :D
I'm using postfix+spamassassin+amavis-new. Do you know some scheme to solve
this problem?

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:31:06 -0800, Christine Kluka
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Roundcube Version 0.1-rc1, with a junk mail folder.  How do I
> > filter
> > junk mail (to deliver junk mail to the junk mail folder instead of my
> > inbox)?  My junk mail is usually marked Spam by MailScanner, and there
>
> are
>
> > other criteria I could apply to filter other messages if I knew what to
> > configure.
> >
> > I've used procmail in the past to make sure junk mail was delivered to a
> > mail folder other than my inbox, but only with POP3 clients.
> > Recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > --
> > believed to be clean.

Re: Filtering junk mail

jjh-2
Isn't there a system wide procmailrc that you can accomplish this with?  If
your system already knows the message is spam I'd say put it in the Junk
mail folder for them.  If it's a message that got through undetected they
should move it to the junk mail folder themselves and you should have a
process to learn those as spam.

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:38:31 -0300, "Luciano M. Guasco" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm using procmail too, in my machine to move mails marked as spam. But
> the
> problem I have, is that all the users of the server want a kind of spam
> filter in Roundcube, because they want to redirect the spam marked mails
> another folder than inbox, and they are simple users so they can't use
> procmail. May be exists some implementation of filters in roundcube? :D
> I'm using postfix+spamassassin+amavis-new. Do you know some scheme to
> solve
> this problem?

Re: Filtering junk mail

Rouncube Lbutlr
On 31-Aug-2007, at 11:38, Luciano M. Guasco wrote:
> I'm using procmail too, in my machine to move mails marked as spam.
> But the
> problem I have, is that all the users of the server want a kind of
> spam
> filter in Roundcube, because they want to redirect the spam marked
> mails to
> another folder than inbox, and they are simple users so they can't use
> procmail.

I use spamassassin on my server and a /etc/procmailrc (this runs for
all users)

{ Lots of stuff up here }

:0
* ! ? test -f $HOME/.procmailrc
{
   LOG="User has no procmailrc LOGNAME=$LOGNAME@$HOST HOME=$HOME$NL"
   :0 fw
   | /usr/local/bin/spamc -u $LOGNAME

   DROPPRIVS=YES
    :0
    * ^X-Spam-Status:(.*\<)?Yes
    {
       # mbox delivery, mark as read:
       :0 fw
       | formail -I "Status: RO"

       :0: $HOME/lock.$PID
       * ? test -f $HOME/Mail/SPAM
       $HOME/Mail/SPAM
    }

    :0:
    $DEFAULT
}
LOG="User $LOGNAME@$HOST has a .procmailrc, processing...$NL"

Spam gets moved to SPAM and everything else goes to $DEFAULT

--
Lewis Butler
303.564.2512

Re: Filtering junk mail

Christine Kluka

I created a .procmail file in my home directory with the usual parameters
and the recipes in the $HOME/procmail folder, which I've done before.  This
time it doesn't work - either the procmail recipes are either not read or
not applied.  Previously, my mail folder was
/var/spool/mail/cvkluka, with UID/GID cvkluka/mail
Now my mail folder is /var/spool/imap/c/user/cvkluka, owned by cyrus/mail;
if I chown it to UID/GID cvkluka/cvkluka as recommended by procmail, all
mail disappears from my Roundcube mail directories when I log on.  In both
cases, I've used spamassassin:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:29:52 +0100, Alex Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I still use procmail for this.  On the server that's running roundcube, I
> put the following in my .procmailrc - I use bogofilter, with 3 states, so
> filter into 2 different places as you can see...
>
> :0:
>
> :0:
> spam/unsure
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Alex
>
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:31:06 -0800, Christine Kluka
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Roundcube Version 0.1-rc1, with a junk mail folder.  How do I
>> filter
>> junk mail (to deliver junk mail to the junk mail folder instead of my
>> inbox)?  My junk mail is usually marked Spam by MailScanner, and there
> are
>> other criteria I could apply to filter other messages if I knew what to
>> configure.
>>
>> I've used procmail in the past to make sure junk mail was delivered to a
>> mail folder other than my inbox, but only with POP3 clients.
>> Recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Filtering junk mail

Christine Kluka

Sorry, pressed the Send button before I was finished...I was using
spamassassin earlier and filtered all mail thru it in a global procmailrc,
with additional recipes in my $HOME folder; this time I'm using MailScanner
which tags the mail as spam or disabled, but /etc/procmailrc is empty.
But the issue I think is the ownership of the mail directory, as stated in
my last email.

TIA for any help

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:29:52 +0100, Alex Walker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I still use procmail for this.  On the server that's running roundcube, I
> put the following in my .procmailrc - I use bogofilter, with 3 states, so
> filter into 2 different places as you can see...
>
> :0:
>
> :0:
> spam/unsure
>
> Hope that helps
>
> Alex
>
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:31:06 -0800, Christine Kluka
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Roundcube Version 0.1-rc1, with a junk mail folder.  How do I
>> filter
>> junk mail (to deliver junk mail to the junk mail folder instead of my
>> inbox)?  My junk mail is usually marked Spam by MailScanner, and there
> are
>> other criteria I could apply to filter other messages if I knew what to
>> configure.
>>
>> I've used procmail in the past to make sure junk mail was delivered to a
>> mail folder other than my inbox, but only with POP3 clients.
>> Recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Filtering junk mail

Rouncube Lbutlr
On 1-Sep-2007, at 15:23, Christine Kluka wrote:
> Now my mail folder is /var/spool/imap/c/user/cvkluka, owned by
> cyrus/mail;
> if I chown it to UID/GID cvkluka/cvkluka as recommended by
> procmail, all
> mail disappears from my Roundcube mail directories when I log on.
> In both
> cases, I've used spamassassin:

This, however, is another issue.  You cannot put a .procmailrc in
your home directory and expect the user cyrus to process it.  Since
you do not, in point of fact, own your email in this configuration
you cannot run procmail.

--
Lewis Butler
303.564.2512

Re: Filtering junk mail

Rouncube Lbutlr
On 1-Sep-2007, at 15:23, Christine Kluka wrote:
> I created a .procmail file in my home directory with the usual
> parameters
> and the recipes in the $HOME/procmail folder, which I've done
> before.  This
> time it doesn't work

It didn't work before either. The file is .procmailrc.

I have no idea what $HOME/procmail might be or how your '.procmail'
is setup, but there is certainly nothing special about that folder.

--
Lewis Butler
303.564.2512

--
Lewis Butler
303.564.2512

Re: Filtering junk mail

Christine Kluka

So what is the recommended configuration?  To chown imap directories from
cyrus to the users (presumably before they actually start using their
mailboxes) so they can benefit from procmail filters?  Or filter junk in
cyrus mailboxes through some other method?

(I did have .procmailrc in my $HOME directory, sorry about that; typo)

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:54:33 -0600, Lewis Butler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1-Sep-2007, at 15:23, Christine Kluka wrote:
>> Now my mail folder is /var/spool/imap/c/user/cvkluka, owned by
>> cyrus/mail;
>> if I chown it to UID/GID cvkluka/cvkluka as recommended by
>> procmail, all
>> mail disappears from my Roundcube mail directories when I log on.
>> In both
>> cases, I've used spamassassin:
>
> This, however, is another issue.  You cannot put a .procmailrc in
> your home directory and expect the user cyrus to process it.  Since
> you do not, in point of fact, own your email in this configuration
> you cannot run procmail.
>
> --
> Lewis Butler
> 303.564.2512

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Filtering junk mail

Christine Kluka

This has been frustrating so once again I jumped the gun on sending my last
mail - I'm quite sure that cyrus imap will not work unless cyrus owns the
user files; correct me if I'm wrong about that.
But that being the case, what junk mail filter works with it?  Are there
roundcube mail users out there running cyrus imap?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1-Sep-2007, at 15:23, Christine Kluka wrote:
>> Now my mail folder is /var/spool/imap/c/user/cvkluka, owned by
>> cyrus/mail;
>> if I chown it to UID/GID cvkluka/cvkluka as recommended by
>> procmail, all
>> mail disappears from my Roundcube mail directories when I log on.
>> In both
>> cases, I've used spamassassin:
>
> This, however, is another issue.  You cannot put a .procmailrc in
> your home directory and expect the user cyrus to process it.  Since
> you do not, in point of fact, own your email in this configuration
> you cannot run procmail.
>
> --
> Lewis Butler
> 303.564.2512

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Filtering junk mail

Rouncube Lbutlr
On 1-Sep-2007, at 19:12, Christine Kluka wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:54:33 -0600, Lewis Butler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1-Sep-2007, at 15:23, Christine Kluka wrote:
>>> Now my mail folder is /var/spool/imap/c/user/cvkluka, owned by
>>> cyrus/mail;
>>> if I chown it to UID/GID cvkluka/cvkluka as recommended by
>>> procmail, all
>>> mail disappears from my Roundcube mail directories when I log on.
>>> In both
>>> cases, I've used spamassassin:
>>
>> This, however, is another issue.  You cannot put a .procmailrc in
>> your home directory and expect the user cyrus to process it.  Since
>> you do not, in point of fact, own your email in this configuration
>> you cannot run procmail.

> So what is the recommended configuration?  To chown imap
> directories from
> cyrus to the users (presumably before they actually start using their
> mailboxes) so they can benefit from procmail filters?

Nope, you can't do that.  With your setup, the users are virtual and
all user's mail is owned by cyrus.  The only solution is to have
Cyrus run procmail.

This is complicated and having user-define procmail files is further
complicated by teh fact that you need a mechanism for the user to
edit the file, but for the permsission to end up where procmail will
read the file.

> Or filter junk in cyrus mailboxes through some other method?

I'm not familiar with cyrus enough to answer this.  I do this in
postfix/coureir/mysql, but I have no way for a user to edit their
own .procmailrc file, I just have to make any desired changes myself.

--
Lewis Butler
303.564.2512

Re: Filtering junk mail

chasd
> I'm using procmail too, in my machine to move mails marked as spam.
> But the
> problem I have, is that all the users of the server want a kind of
> spam
> filter in Roundcube, because they want to redirect the spam marked
> mails to
> another folder than inbox, and they are simple users so they can't use
> procmail. May be exists some implementation of filters in
> roundcube? :D
> I'm using postfix+spamassassin+amavis-new. Do you know some scheme
> to solve
> this problem?

Use DSPAM, it is more accurate than SpamAssassin for us. The DSPAM
binary replaces procmail as the MDA, and it can be configured to move
messages marked as spam to a separate user directory rather than a
quarantine.

Pros:
Each user trains the filter as they desire, so one user's opinion of
what is spam doesn't conflict with another user's opinion.
No rules to update
Very accurate, keeps up with changes in spam techniques

Cons:
Processor and database intensive, you may need bigger hardware to
handle it.
User's are lazy and don't want to train the filter
The filter needs a baseline of 1500 messages to start making good
decisions

IMHO, the MUA isn't the place for filtering.
We also use greylisting before the message gets to DSPAM.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265

Re: Filtering junk mail

Christine Kluka

I've been reading about sieve, a server-side mail filter for imap, which
would help a lot.  But I can't find anything on how to configure it with
roundcube - only with squirrelmail and other clients.  Has anyone tried it
with roundcube?  Any advice on how to make it work?

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:53:13 -0500, chasd <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'm using procmail too, in my machine to move mails marked as spam.
>> But the
>> problem I have, is that all the users of the server want a kind of
>> spam
>> filter in Roundcube, because they want to redirect the spam marked
>> mails to
>> another folder than inbox, and they are simple users so they can't use
>> procmail. May be exists some implementation of filters in
>> roundcube? :D
>> I'm using postfix+spamassassin+amavis-new. Do you know some scheme
>> to solve
>> this problem?
>
> Use DSPAM, it is more accurate than SpamAssassin for us. The DSPAM
> binary replaces procmail as the MDA, and it can be configured to move
> messages marked as spam to a separate user directory rather than a
> quarantine.
>
> Pros:
> Each user trains the filter as they desire, so one user's opinion of
> what is spam doesn't conflict with another user's opinion.
> No rules to update
> Very accurate, keeps up with changes in spam techniques
>
> Cons:
> Processor and database intensive, you may need bigger hardware to
> handle it.
> User's are lazy and don't want to train the filter
> The filter needs a baseline of 1500 messages to start making good
> decisions
>
> IMHO, the MUA isn't the place for filtering.
> We also use greylisting before the message gets to DSPAM.
>

> Charles Dostale
> System Admin - Silver Oaks Communications
> http://www.silveroaks.com/
> 824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Filtering junk mail

Jeff Davis-22
I have recently implemented smartsieve, though have not gotten it to integrate directly w/roundcube.  It is a web-based interface to sieve.  We also use spamassassin, and I have taken a brute-force approach to installing sieve filters for each user.  Kinda ugly initially, but it works.  My account provisioning script now adds this filter for all new accounts.

If anyone knows how to set sieve up to do a top-level global filter I'd sure like to know about it.

http://smartsieve.sourceforge.net/

On 9/4/07, Christine Kluka <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been reading about sieve, a server-side mail filter for imap, which
would help a lot.  But I can't find anything on how to configure it with
roundcube - only with squirrelmail and other clients.  Has anyone tried it
with roundcube?  Any advice on how to make it work?

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:53:13 -0500, chasd <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'm using procmail too, in my machine to move mails marked as spam.
>> But the
>> problem I have, is that all the users of the server want a kind of
>> spam
>> filter in Roundcube, because they want to redirect the spam marked
>> mails to
>> another folder than inbox, and they are simple users so they can't use
>> procmail. May be exists some implementation of filters in
>> roundcube? :D
>> I'm using postfix+spamassassin+amavis-new. Do you know some scheme
>> to solve
>> this problem?
>
> Use DSPAM, it is more accurate than SpamAssassin for us. The DSPAM
> binary replaces procmail as the MDA, and it can be configured to move
> messages marked as spam to a separate user directory rather than a
> quarantine.
>
> Pros:
> Each user trains the filter as they desire, so one user's opinion of
> what is spam doesn't conflict with another user's opinion.
> No rules to update
> Very accurate, keeps up with changes in spam techniques
>
> Cons:
> Processor and database intensive, you may need bigger hardware to
> handle it.
> User's are lazy and don't want to train the filter
> The filter needs a baseline of 1500 messages to start making good
> decisions
>
> IMHO, the MUA isn't the place for filtering.
> We also use greylisting before the message gets to DSPAM.
>

> Charles Dostale
> System Admin - Silver Oaks Communications
> http://www.silveroaks.com/
> 824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.