Is anyone using multiple domains on a single IMAP server?

Is anyone using multiple domains on a single IMAP server?

Martin Kealey
(Apart from us, of course.)

We need a drop-down list to select a domain on the login page, but *not* to
change the IMAP server. So this would be separate from the option to choose
an IMAP server, and by implication, a domain associated with it.

I have a patch to implement this, but it has no effect unless enabled in
program/include/main.inc. I wondered if anyone else had implemented
anything similar and would be willing to compare notes and/or swap patches.

Otherwise does anyone object to this being included in trunk?

-Martin

Re: Is anyone using multiple domains on a single IMAP server?

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX]
 > We need a drop-down list to select a domain on the login page, but
*not* to
 > change the IMAP server. So this would be separate from the option to
choose
 > an IMAP server, and by implication, a domain associated with it.

hello martin,

we solve this issue by having the user login with his full email
address (e.g. [hidden email]).

of course the users are saved this way in the database and regular
imap login does work the same way.

we find this solution quite convenient and it prevents ever growing
select boxes with 100 domains in them ;)

cheers,
raoul bhatia
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          [hidden email]
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG         web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            [hidden email]
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15

Re: Is anyone using multiple domains on a single IMAP server?

Sam Bailey
Instead of writing the IMAP server in the drop down box, I put the domain.

Then in DNS each mail.domain.tld points to the same IMAP server.

I also use the full email address solution, but only as a backup.

This overall solution is good for a small amount of multiple domains.

Sam Bailey

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:

>  > We need a drop-down list to select a domain on the login page, but
> *not* to
>  > change the IMAP server. So this would be separate from the option to
> choose
>  > an IMAP server, and by implication, a domain associated with it.
>
> hello martin,
>
> we solve this issue by having the user login with his full email
> address (e.g. [hidden email]).
>
> of course the users are saved this way in the database and regular
> imap login does work the same way.
>
> we find this solution quite convenient and it prevents ever growing
> select boxes with 100 domains in them ;)
>
> cheers,
> raoul bhatia

Re: Is anyone using multiple domains on a single IMAP server?

Michael Baierl-2
Same here - the users just log in using the full mail address, which is
much more straight forward then a dropdown.

Mike

--
Michael Baierl
mbaierl.com   http://mbaierl.com/
tfk

Re: Is anyone using multiple domains on a single IMAP server?

tfk
+1 :)

I am not really in favour of including this in roundcube.

dropdowns are not the greatest gui components anyway.

On 10/16/07, Michael Baierl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same here - the users just log in using the full mail address, which is
> much more straight forward then a dropdown.
>
> Mike
>
> Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
> >  > We need a drop-down list to select a domain on the login page, but
> > *not* to
> >  > change the IMAP server. So this would be separate from the option to
> > choose
> >  > an IMAP server, and by implication, a domain associated with it.
> >
> > hello martin,
> >
> > we solve this issue by having the user login with his full email
> > address (e.g. [hidden email]).
> >
> > of course the users are saved this way in the database and regular
> > imap login does work the same way.
> >
> > we find this solution quite convenient and it prevents ever growing
> > select boxes with 100 domains in them ;)
> >
> > cheers,
> > raoul bhatia

Re: Is anyone using multiple domains on a single IMAP server?

Martin Kealey
> Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
>> we solve this issue by having the user login with his full email
>> address (e.g. [hidden email]).

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:13:51 +0200, Michael Baierl <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Same here - the users just log in using the full mail address, which is
> much more straight forward then a dropdown.

Ah for the simple life. :-)

We have 150000 mailboxes (give or take ten thousand) in 5 domains; all but
about 20000 are in one domain.

Our RoundCube service replaced 3 previous webmail systems where users just
used a bald username to log in. It's far simpler -- and less error prone --
for us to have a drop-down, than to get our users to change how they log
in.  (We have custom login pages for each domain, but in the event that the
user gets their password wrong, or their session times out, we need to have
the main login page work obviously.)

We tried having an "other domain" option on the drop-down, and had to take
it off: for about half our users, their "email address" is something quite
different from their "mailbox address", but the suggestion of "other
domain" enticed them to enter the wrong one, and our call centre went nuts.

At some future stage we will figure out how to let them log in using their
actual email address, but in the meantime this is what we need; in the
interests of not forking the project for our internal use, we're opting to
make this functionality available in the core product, but disabled unless
you put the appropriate option in the main.conf.inc file.

-Martin

Re: Is anyone using multiple domains on a single IMAP server?

Thomas Bruederli
2007/10/17, Martin Kealey <[hidden email]>:

> Our RoundCube service replaced 3 previous webmail systems where users just
> used a bald username to log in. It's far simpler -- and less error prone --
> for us to have a drop-down, than to get our users to change how they log
> in.  (We have custom login pages for each domain, but in the event that the
> user gets their password wrong, or their session times out, we need to have
> the main login page work obviously.)

In case your users access the webmail on different domains, you can
set $rcmail_config['username_domain'] using a host-specific config
file. In order to get this work, you have to enable
$rcmail_config['include_host_config'].

> At some future stage we will figure out how to let them log in using their
> actual email address, but in the meantime this is what we need; in the
> interests of not forking the project for our internal use, we're opting to
> make this functionality available in the core product, but disabled unless
> you put the appropriate option in the main.conf.inc file.

I assume that your IMAP server does require a full e-mail address as
user name. In this case the login should always work with full
addresses. The 'username_domain' is only added if the user name does
not contain an @ sign.

You can also maintain a patch that can be applied on the latest
release instead of adding this to the trunk.

~Thomas