Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4 beta released

Tom Sommer

On 2018-08-25 14:46, Thomas Bruederli wrote:

> The Elastic skin is built with LESS and of course the sources are
> included. They allow a certain degree of customization by adjusting
> some color variables [3]. All you need is to compile your very own
> customized skin with lessc.

I believe most projects (bootstrap etc.) are moving to SASS, it might be
worth making that switch before letting LESS into the wild?

---
Tom

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4 beta released

Reindl Harald-2

Am 25.08.2018 um 20:41 schrieb Tom Sommer:

> On 2018-08-25 14:46, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>
>> The Elastic skin is built with LESS and of course the sources are
>> included. They allow a certain degree of customization by adjusting
>> some color variables [3]. All you need is to compile your very own
>> customized skin with lessc.
>

> I believe most projects (bootstrap etc.) are moving to SASS, it might be
> worth making that switch before letting LESS into the wild?

where i come from people had the capabilities to write correct code on
tehir own instead wrap framework into framework which wraps 10 others
frameworks

these day you have every few weeks a new bullshit to keep
stackoverflow-copy-and-paste-heroes writing some glue-code lines they
are developers instead braindead fools

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4 beta released

Cor Bosman

> On 25 Aug 2018, at 21:01, Reindl Harald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Am 25.08.2018 um 20:41 schrieb Tom Sommer:
>> On 2018-08-25 14:46, Thomas Bruederli wrote:
>>
>>> The Elastic skin is built with LESS and of course the sources are
>>> included. They allow a certain degree of customization by adjusting
>>> some color variables [3]. All you need is to compile your very own
>>> customized skin with lessc.
>>

>> I believe most projects (bootstrap etc.) are moving to SASS, it might be
>> worth making that switch before letting LESS into the wild?
>
> where i come from people had the capabilities to write correct code on
> tehir own instead wrap framework into framework which wraps 10 others
> frameworks

You realise less is not a framework but a pre-processor that makes writing browser compatible css easier and less error prone.

Cor

Am 25.08.2018 um 21:10 schrieb [hidden email]:

>> On 25 Aug 2018, at 21:01, Reindl Harald <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I believe most projects (bootstrap etc.) are moving to SASS, it might be
>>> worth making that switch before letting LESS into the wild?
>>
>> where i come from people had the capabilities to write correct code on
>> tehir own instead wrap framework into framework which wraps 10 others
>> frameworks
>
> You realise less is not a framework but a pre-processor that makes writing browser compatible css easier and less error prone.

yes, and i realize that SASS is obviously the new hot shit and that
idiotic dance happens for nearly a deacde: frameworks replacing
framworks on top of framworks all the time instead write quality code at
your own

SASS and LESS are both nothing than abstraction layers aka frameworks

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4 beta released

A.L.E.C
On 25.08.2018 21:50, Reindl Harald wrote:
> SASS and LESS are both nothing than abstraction layers aka frameworks

Still better over writing the css "by hand". Variables and nesting make
really a difference. I like your sentiment of not jumping from framework
to framework. Roundcube code and history shows we don't do this.

As it's mostly my code and was my own decision I'll explain the
reasoning why I chose less.
- I already had some small experience with it and have no sass
experience (especially considering tools).
- I like it's simplicity of development, i.e. simple use of less.min.js
for development (no css compilation needed)
- it also does not add many requirements to the project. Installing
lessc on my system was very simple. I can't say installing
Bootstrap/sass dependencies is simple (and tons of node deps just scares
me).

I don't say that we'll definitely not use sass in future. I considered
this. It would make sense because Bootstrap uses sass. So, we could for
example build more customized/optimized css output. However, I'm not
really interested in working on this right now, so if there's anyone who
would like to give it a try I'd like to see a pull request.

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4 beta released

Jonas Meurer
Hi Roundcube developers,

Am 25.08.2018 um 14:46 schrieb Thomas Bruederli:
> We proudly announce the beta release of the next major version 1.4 of
> Roundcube webmail.
> With this milestone we introduce some new features:
>
> * New responsive skin with mobile support

I just wanted to say a wholehearted thank you to everyone who took part
in making this happen. I didn't try out elastic myself yet, but I
followed its development closely and I'll certainly give it a try soon.

In my eyes, having a responsive skin is a huge improvement for Roundcube
that certainly helps numerous of small/non-profit (and probably some
also some larger) mail providers with providing a modern and usabable
webmail interface to their users.

Again: thanks for the hard work and making this happen. Cudos to Alec!

Cheers
 jonas

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4 beta released

Brendan

On 2018-08-27 12:22 AM, A.L.E.C wrote:
> - it also does not add many requirements to the project. Installing
> lessc on my system was very simple. I can't say installing
> Bootstrap/sass dependencies is simple (and tons of node deps just scares
> me).

perhaps the build process for making the release tarballs could include
compiled css files? that way anyone working on the dev side gains the
benefits of using lessc, while those simply using the project releases
don't need to install node just to build the css files.

On 27.08.2018 17:02, Brendan wrote:

> On 2018-08-27 12:22 AM, A.L.E.C wrote:
>> - it also does not add many requirements to the project. Installing
>> lessc on my system was very simple. I can't say installing
>> Bootstrap/sass dependencies is simple (and tons of node deps just scares
>> me).
>
> perhaps the build process for making the release tarballs could include
> compiled css files? that way anyone working on the dev side gains the
> benefits of using lessc, while those simply using the project releases
> don't need to install node just to build the css files.

We're talking developer perspective. Of course, release tarballs will
and do contain compiled css.