Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

Thomas Bruederli-2
Dear subscribers

It's a big honor for me to announce the final release of the long awaited major version 1.4 of Roundcube webmail.
After more than two years of hard work by Alec and other volunteer contributors, Roundcube finally gets the responsive skin with full mobile device support - the Elastic.

In addition to the new UI we introduce these new features:

* Email Resent (Bounce) feature
* Improved [Mailvelope](https://www.mailvelope.com) integration
* Support for Redis and Memcached cache
* Support for SMTPUTF8 and GSSAPI

Plus numerous improvements and bug fixes collected from your precious feedback as well as updates to recent versions of 3rd party libraries like jQuery and TinyMCE. See the full changelog in the release notes on the Github download page [1].

The new Elastic theme, which is the new default skin, is built with LESS and of course the sources are included. They allow a certain degree of customization by adjusting some colors and variables using the `_styles.less` and `_variables.less` files. Please consider customizing your Roundcube installation in order to make phishing [2] harder. You'll find guidance in the README.md file inside the skin folder.

This release is considered stable and we encourage you to update your productive installations after carefully testing the upgrade scenario and preparing your users to the significant changes in their webmail UI. Download it from https://roundcube.net/download.

With the release of Roundcube 1.4.0, the previous stable release branches 1.3.x and 1.2.x will change into LTS low maintenance mode which means they will only receive important security updates but no longer any regular improvement updates. The 1.1.x series is no longer supported and maintained.

Kind regards,

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

Sophie Loewenthal
Fantastic news on 1.4 . Looking forward to rolling it out and making good use of all your hard work. Congratulations!

 sent from phone, thus brief

On 9 Nov 2019, at 9:52 pm, Thomas Bruederli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Emmanuel Revah

\o/

Thanks a lot for everything.

--

Manu

@lbutlr
On 09 Nov 2019, at 13:52, Thomas Bruederli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The 1.1.x series is no longer supported and maintained.

Assuming this is some sort of boilerplate message with details filled in or something that is otherwise distributed, I could suggest replacing “and” with “nor”.

If it’s just the post you wrote for the list, then never mind. 😃

--
"My parents were unwilling to secure the necessary eagle's eggs and lion
semen”

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

Nuno Dias
 After upgrading to this new release the send mail stopped to work, and
now, no matter what I configure in smtp variables (tls, or only port
25) I have always the same error.

SMTP Error: Authentication failure: SMTP server does not support
authentication (Code: ) in
/usr/share/roundcubemail/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube.php on line 1689
(POST
/?_task=mail&_unlock=loading1573748530919&_framed=1&_lang=en_US&_action
=send)

 The previous version 1.3.10 works as expected, but every time I
upgrade to the version 1.4.0 I have the error above.

 Anyone has the same problem? or knows how can I debug this error?

Thanks
Nuno

On Sat, 2019-11-09 at 21:52 +0100, Thomas Bruederli wrote:

> Dear subscribers
>
> It's a big honor for me to announce the final release of the long
> awaited major version 1.4 of Roundcube webmail.
> After more than two years of hard work by Alec and other volunteer
> contributors, Roundcube finally gets the responsive skin with full
> mobile device support - the Elastic.
>
> In addition to the new UI we introduce these new features:
>
> * Email Resent (Bounce) feature
> * Improved [Mailvelope](https://www.mailvelope.com) integration
> * Support for Redis and Memcached cache
> * Support for SMTPUTF8 and GSSAPI
>
> Plus numerous improvements and bug fixes collected from your precious
> feedback as well as updates to recent versions of 3rd party libraries
> like jQuery and TinyMCE. See the full changelog in the release notes
> on the Github download page [1].
>
> The new Elastic theme, which is the new default skin, is built with
> LESS and of course the sources are included. They allow a certain
> degree of customization by adjusting some colors and variables using
> the `_styles.less` and `_variables.less` files. Please consider
> customizing your Roundcube installation in order to make phishing [2]
> harder. You'll find guidance in the README.md file inside the skin
> folder.
>
> This release is considered stable and we encourage you to update your
> productive installations after carefully testing the upgrade scenario
> and preparing your users to the significant changes in their webmail
> UI. Download it from https://roundcube.net/download.
>
> With the release of Roundcube 1.4.0, the previous stable release
> branches 1.3.x and 1.2.x will change into LTS low maintenance mode
> which means they will only receive important security updates but no
> longer any regular improvement updates. The 1.1.x series is no longer
> supported and maintained.
>
> Kind regards,
> Thomas
>
> [1] https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/releases/tag/1.4.0
> [2] https://roundcube.net/news/2019/10/28/phishing-alert
Nuno Dias <[hidden email]>
LIP

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

Jari Fredriksson

On 14.11.2019 18.40, Nuno Dias wrote:

>   After upgrading to this new release the send mail stopped to work, and
> now, no matter what I configure in smtp variables (tls, or only port
> 25) I have always the same error.
>
> SMTP Error: Authentication failure: SMTP server does not support
> authentication (Code: ) in
> /usr/share/roundcubemail/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube.php on line 1689
> (POST
> /?_task=mail&_unlock=loading1573748530919&_framed=1&_lang=en_US&_action
> =send)
>
>   The previous version 1.3.10 works as expected, but every time I
> upgrade to the version 1.4.0 I have the error above.
>
>   Anyone has the same problem? or knows how can I debug this error?
>
> Thanks
> Nuno

I just installed yesterday using bin/installto.sh and all went smooth,
no need to touch config.inc.php.

br. jarif

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

Nuno Dias
 I'm using a rpm from https://rpms.remirepo.net/ and because the
are smooth, but not this time.

Cheers,
Nuno

On Thu, 2019-11-14 at 19:49 +0200, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> On 14.11.2019 18.40, Nuno Dias wrote:
> >   After upgrading to this new release the send mail stopped to
> > work, and
> > now, no matter what I configure in smtp variables (tls, or only
> > port
> > 25) I have always the same error.
> >
> > SMTP Error: Authentication failure: SMTP server does not support
> > authentication (Code: ) in
> > /usr/share/roundcubemail/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube.php on line
> > 1689
> > (POST
> > /?_task=mail&_unlock=loading1573748530919&_framed=1&_lang=en_US&_ac
> > tion
> > =send)
> >
> >   The previous version 1.3.10 works as expected, but every time I
> > upgrade to the version 1.4.0 I have the error above.
> >
> >   Anyone has the same problem? or knows how can I debug this error?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Nuno
>
> I just installed yesterday using bin/installto.sh and all went
> smooth,
> no need to touch config.inc.php.
>
> br. jarif
Nuno Dias <[hidden email]>
LIP

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

David Carter
On 2019-11-14 16:40, Nuno Dias wrote:
> After upgrading to this new release the send mail stopped to work, and
> now, no matter what I configure in smtp variables (tls, or only port
> 25) I have always the same error.
>
> SMTP Error: Authentication failure: SMTP server does not support
> authentication

config/defaults.inc.php in 1.4.0 includes:

// SMTP username (if required) if you use %u as the username Roundcube
// will use the current username for login
$config['smtp_user'] = '%u';

// SMTP password (if required) if you use %p as the password Roundcube
// will use the current user's password for login
$config['smtp_pass'] = '%p';

while config/defaults.inc.php in 1.3.10 has:

config['smtp_user'] = '';
$config['smtp_pass'] = '';

I suspect this is the source of your problems.

--
David Carter                             Email: [hidden email]
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502

Re: Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

Nuno Dias
 Hi,

 Ok, I found the problem and David helped, my problem was that I had

 $config['smtp_user'] = '%u'
 $config['smtp_pass'] = '%p'

 because I read "SMTP username (if required)", so I'm using port 25 and
doesn't requires authentication, so this will be ignored, and that is
not true, this will be used if set!

 The other problem when I tested it with tls and port 587 is the option

$config['smtp_conn_options'] = array( ...

was not set, and is necessary for tls to work.

Cheers,
Nuno