Sending the original IP address to the IMAP server

Sending the original IP address to the IMAP server

André Rodier-2
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there is a way to configure RoundCube to send
the original IP address to the IMAP server, using the ID command.

This is used in Dovecot, to log the remote IP address where the client
is connecting from. and not having the logs filled of connections from
"127.0.0.1"

Is it something supported by RoundCube? And if yes, how can I configure
it?

Thanks a lot.
André

--
https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox

Re: Sending the original IP address to the IMAP server

Jorge Bastos
André,

It'll always be RC doing the connection, not the IP of the other side that open's the browser,

On 2019-04-13 14:41, Jorge Bastos wrote:

> André,
>
> It'll always be RC doing the connection, not the IP of the other side
> that open's the browser,

Hello Jorge,

 From the browser point of view, yes.

However, I know this is technically feasible.

Dovecot allows you to override the IP address, using the ID extension.

I found this plugin:
https://github.com/corbosman/dovecot_ident/blob/master/dovecot_ident.php

Any chance this feature to be integrated in core, out of the box?

Thanks,
André

On 2019-04-13 14:57, André Rodier wrote:

> On 2019-04-13 14:41, Jorge Bastos wrote:
>> André,
>>
>> It'll always be RC doing the connection, not the IP of the other side
>> that open's the browser,

I confirm this is now working, even when using imapproxy to cache IMAP
connections.

Question for the developers: Any chance to integrate this function
directly into RoundCube, without having to use a plugin ?

It seems to be a _de facto_ standard, accoring to Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Originating-IP

Thanks,
André

--
https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox

Re: Sending the original IP address to the IMAP server

Jorge Bastos
> > Hello Jorge,
> >
> > From the browser point of view, yes.
> >
> > However, I know this is technically feasible.
> >
> > Dovecot allows you to override the IP address, using the ID
> extension.
> >
> > I found this plugin:
> >
> https://github.com/corbosman/dovecot_ident/blob/master/dovecot_ident.p
> > hp
> >
> > Any chance this feature to be integrated in core, out of the box?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > André
>
> I confirm this is now working, even when using imapproxy to cache IMAP
> connections.
>
> Question for the developers: Any chance to integrate this function
> directly into RoundCube, without having to use a plugin ?
>
> It seems to be a _de facto_ standard, accoring to Wikipedia:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Originating-IP

Ok I see what you want, and it may be handy to know in the headers the original IP.

For general public, I've been some users account being hacked, maybe with brute force have no idea, and the spammer logged in, in Roundcube and sent spam form there, manually or automatically that I don't know, but it's a fact that is happening now.

Anyway I'm using the plugin "additional_message_headers", that don't know if will give you the IP you want, but I'm already inserting that In messages:

$config['additional_message_headers']['X-Remote-Browser'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']; $config['additional_message_headers']['X-Originating-IP'] = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; $config['additional_message_headers']['X-RoundCube-Extra'] = "MS Exchange Project 512bit, partner testing program";