Unable to send command: A0007 FETCH 1:* (UID BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])"

Unable to send command: A0007 FETCH 1:* (UID BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])"

Webert de Souza Lima
Hello,

I use Roundcube as my main Webmail client and Dovecot as the underlying mail server.

Very often, users stumble across the error stated in the subject of this message:
 "Unable to send command: A0007 FETCH 1:* (UID BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])"".

After some research I have learned that this message itself is not where the problem lies, but it's the previous step, where it asks the imap server to sort the fetched headers by date:
 "A0006 UID SORT (DATE) US-ASCII ALL"

After some efforts I have learned that Roundcube takes the following steps when opening a given mailbox:

Regards,

Webert Lima
DevOps Engineer at MAV Tecnologia
Belo Horizonte - Brasil
IRC NICK - WebertRLZ

Fwd: Unable to send command: A0007 FETCH 1:* (UID BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])"

Webert de Souza Lima
Please dis-consider the previous email.

Hello,

I use Roundcube as my main Webmail client and Dovecot as the underlying mail server.

Very often, users stumble across the error stated in the subject of this message:
 "Unable to send command: A0007 FETCH 1:* (UID BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])"".

After some research I have learned that this message itself is not where the problem lies, but it's the previous step, where it asks the IMAP server to sort the fetched headers by date:
 "A0006 UID SORT (DATE) US-ASCII ALL"

So the problem always happens when such mailbox is very large in number of messages. The IMAP server takes some time to process the sorting and Roundcube gives up waiting and times out.

After some efforts I have learned that Roundcube takes the following steps when opening a given mailbox:

A0001 CAPABILITY
A0002 LOGIN ******
A0003 STATUS INBOX (MESSAGES UNSEEN)
A0004 SELECT INBOX
A0005 UID SEARCH 27332
A0006 UID SORT (DATE) US-ASCII ALL

Is there something I can do in Roundcube to minimize this issue?

Regards,

Webert Lima
DevOps Engineer at MAV Tecnologia
Belo Horizonte - Brasil
IRC NICK - WebertRLZ

Re: Fwd: Unable to send command: A0007 FETCH 1:* (UID BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])"

A.L.E.C
On 03/27/2018 04:30 PM, Webert de Souza Lima wrote:
> A0006 UID SORT (DATE) US-ASCII ALL
>
> Is there something I can do in Roundcube to minimize this issue?

Set messages list sorting to "None" or "Arrival date".

Re: Fwd: Unable to send command: A0007 FETCH 1:* (UID BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])"

Webert de Souza Lima
Hey A.L.E.C., thanks for hitting back.
You mean the filed message_sort_col in roundcube's settings file?

In the config/defaults.inc.php file it says:

// default messages sort column. Use empty value for default server's sorting,
// or 'arrival', 'date', 'subject', 'from', 'to', 'fromto', 'size', 'cc'
$config['message_sort_col'] = '';

I've checked and in all my servers it is set to empty:

 /var/www/config # grep -r message_sort_col .
./defaults.inc.php:$config['message_sort_col'] = '';

I tried changing it to 'None' as you suggested but it didn't take any effect. Roundcube is still issuing the SORT command before FETCH.

Kolab Groupware Developer         [http://kolab.org]
Roundcube Webmail Developer   [http://roundcube.net]

On 03/27/2018 06:52 PM, Webert de Souza Lima wrote:

> Hey A.L.E.C., thanks for hitting back.
> You mean the filed *message_sort_col* in roundcube's settings file?
>
> In the config/defaults.inc.php file it says:
>
> // default messages sort column. Use empty value for default server's sorting,
> // or 'arrival', 'date', 'subject', 'from', 'to', 'fromto', 'size', 'cc'
> $config['message_sort_col'] = '';
>
> I've checked and in all my servers it is set to empty:
>
>  /var/www/config # grep -r message_sort_col .
> ./defaults.inc.php:$config['message_sort_col'] = '';
>
> I tried changing it to 'None' as you suggested but it didn't take any effect. Roundcube is
> still issuing the SORT command before FETCH.

Every user has this option already set in his preferences. So, either they go to messages
list options menu and change that "manually". Or you force that for all users using
dont_override setting.

Re: Fwd: Unable to send command: A0007 FETCH 1:* (UID BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])"

Webert de Souza Lima
Ok it really worked with:

 $config['dont_override'] = array('message_sort_col'); and
 $config['message_sort_col'] = '';

but I hit the problem that a given user will never be able to change sorting so that won't be enough.
I'll have to change all users preferences in DB and empty that field.

What I figure is happening is:
 - default setting is empty
 - the user click on the Date column just to change the sorting to ASC or DESC
 - the user's preference is set to sort by DATE
 - the user will never have the default setting again

I can't imagine way to solve this. It will always happen.