Quantcast

University of Florida now hosting a RoundCube implementation

University of Florida now hosting a RoundCube implementation

Martin B. Smith-2
Hello all,

Today at the University of Florida, we began offering Roundcube for one
of our major e-mail systems offered to students. We have around 60,000
IMAP users in an average week, and probably about a quarter of that
number that visit our webmail during an average week.

We're hoping to contribute back to the project in terms of patches, bug
reports, and feature requests. We're already amassing quite a body of
usability feedback from our beta testing.

I apologize in advance if you get some Trac tickets or feedback directly
from users, as we have such a large population of them that some folks
invariable find the wrong place to send feedback & report problems; feel
free to direct them to helpdesk.ufl.edu if you do hear from any.

I look forward to working with the people in the community here :)
--
Martin B. Smith
[hidden email] - (352) 273-1374

 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/sV/udWB3yFT/smime.p7s
 --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---

BT/264cfbbd

Re: University of Florida now hosting a RoundCube implementation

Till Klampaeckel-2
Hey Martin,

great news and we're looking forward to any contributions from you guys!

Feel free to add yourself to the wiki as well. :-)

Once you guys settled in, feel free to send a rundown on your tech
setup to the list as well. People are always interested in that and I
guess it helps some of them when they evaluate RoundCube to see what's
required and possible.

Till

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Martin B. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Today at the University of Florida, we began offering Roundcube for one
> of our major e-mail systems offered to students. We have around 60,000
> IMAP users in an average week, and probably about a quarter of that
> number that visit our webmail during an average week.
>
> We're hoping to contribute back to the project in terms of patches, bug
> reports, and feature requests. We're already amassing quite a body of
> usability feedback from our beta testing.
>
> I apologize in advance if you get some Trac tickets or feedback directly
> from users, as we have such a large population of them that some folks
> invariable find the wrong place to send feedback & report problems; feel
> free to direct them to helpdesk.ufl.edu if you do hear from any.
>
> I look forward to working with the people in the community here :)
> --
> Martin B. Smith
> [hidden email] - (352) 273-1374
> CNS/Open Systems Group
> University of Florida
>

>  --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---
>  The following attachments have been detached and are available for viewing.
>  http://detached.gigo.com/rc/sV/udWB3yFT/smime.p7s
>  Only click these links if you trust the sender, as well as this message.
>  --- 8< --- detachments --- 8< ---

BT/264cfbbd

Re: University of Florida now hosting a RoundCube implementation

Brandon Davidson
Martin,

Welcome! We've been running RoundCube here at the University of Oregon
for a little over a year. We continue to run it in parallel with a
deprecated in-house webmail product, and have found that approximately
80% of our 65,000 users have happily made the migration on their own.
Those that remain on the old product tend to be stodgy faculty or
secretarial types that are resistant to change.

Besides some minor image replacement within the default skin to
customize the logo and watermark, we've left the core code pretty much
alone. We do have a few custom plugins to sync configuration and address
book information with our other webmail, and have about a dozen of the
community plugins enabled as well. I'm curious what patches or plugins
you anticipate you'll need.

In terms of infrastructure, we have two dual-socket quad-core Xeons
running RHEL5 behind a F5 hardware load balancer that is doing SSL
offload. Each node runs a local instance of up-imapproxy, which in turn
connects to a load-balanced pool of four Dovecot director proxies with
12 IMAP backend nodes behind them. We also have a MySQL master server
(shared with other software) and local read-only slaves on the Roundcube
nodes. Even under peak usage (~2k concurrent sessions) we run quite
lightly loaded, but we like to overbuild by at least a factor of two so
that we can withstand a single-site outage.

I'm curious to hear what your configuration and utilization look like!

-Brad
BT/264cfbbd