forward as html with attachment: "failed to send message"

forward as html with attachment: "failed to send message"

Bob Miller-9
Hi Gurus,

I have a roundcube 1.1.3 install, a user has reported that sometimes
mail is not able to forward.  After a bit of trial and error, I am able
to reproduce the problem reliably if I forward an html mail as html, and
add a new attachment, a popup error saying "failed to send message will
happen.  The mail mail server never receives a connection, so I take
this to mean that roundcube cannot craft the mail correctly in order to
pass it to the outgoing server.

If I forward as plain text and add the attachment, the mail will send as
expected.

If I try to forward an html message with an attachment, the message
becomes a plain text message, even though roundcube is configured to
forward html mails as html.

I have looked through config options and bug reports and what google has
to offer, I don't find any way to fix this, wondering if anyone has
suggestions?

Also, I was looking through the changelog up to release 1.2.1 and I
don't see anything that mentions this type of problem being fixed, and
because this install still has some of the old MyRoundcube plugins I
would avoid upgrading in case that breaks more than it fixes.

--
Bob Miller
Computerisms

Re: forward as html with attachment: "failed to send message"

A.L.E.C
On 08/12/2016 01:08 AM, Bob Miller wrote:
> Also, I was looking through the changelog up to release 1.2.1 and I
> don't see anything that mentions this type of problem being fixed, and
> because this install still has some of the old MyRoundcube plugins I
> would avoid upgrading in case that breaks more than it fixes.

I can't reproduce with 1.2.1, so I propose to test with disabled all
plugins.

ps. no matter what changelog says, always use most recent version in
your branch. If you don't want 1.2, use 1.1.5.

Kolab Groupware Developer        [http://kolab.org]
Roundcube Webmail Developer  [http://roundcube.net]

Re: forward as html with attachment: "failed to send message"

Bob Miller-9
Hi,

> ps. no matter what changelog says, always use most recent version in
> your branch. If you don't want 1.2, use 1.1.5.

Upgrade to 1.1.5 seems to have cleared the problem, and MyRoundcube
plugins are still all working...

Re: forward as html with attachment: "failed to send message"

Bob Miller-9
Hello Again,

Unfortunately it seems my problem has returned. Specifically that when a
mail is forwarded or replied to in html, and the mail has attachments,
the user is presented with an error "failed to send message" when
clicking the send button.

The same user that reported it last time says it is still happening.
She cannot determine if she has successfully forwarded an html message
with an attachment since I last upgraded, so all I can say is that I was
not able to reproduce the issue after I upgraded to 1.1.5, but I am able
to reproduce it now.  in chrome and firefox.

I have since upgraded to the latest 1.2.1, but there is no change in the
behaviour.

I do use several of the old myroundcube plugins (and eagerly awaiting
roundcube next for a new caldav/everything system). I have tried
disabling most of them, and a number of standard plugins, one at a time.
no change from doing that.

I have enabled debug logging.  I only see activity in the sql logs,
where there are no apparent errors or failures, and the following
warnings in the error log:

Warning: Call to deprecated function get_input_value(); See bc.inc for
replacement
Warning: Call to deprecated function get_table_name(); See bc.inc for
replacement
Warning: Call to deprecated function write_log(); See bc.inc for replacement

I also see no activity in dovecot of mail server logs, so it seems to me
the issue lies strictly within the compose page, as though the crafted
mail does not pass validation and is therefor not moved forward to any
kind of sending activity.  On that theory, I got the source of the
compose page and ran it through tidy.  There were a pile of warnings,
but nothing looked like an issue to me, and there were no errors.

The only idea I have left to troubleshoot is to remove all the plugins
and see if one of them is the issue.  That would have to be scheduled
for off-hours.  If anyone has any further suggestions regarding how I
might troubleshoot this, I would appreciate to hear them...

On 2016-08-23 12:37 PM, Bob Miller wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> ps. no matter what changelog says, always use most recent version in
>> your branch. If you don't want 1.2, use 1.1.5.
>>
> Upgrade to 1.1.5 seems to have cleared the problem, and MyRoundcube
> plugins are still all working...

Re: forward as html with attachment: "failed to send message"

Bob Miller-9
I meant to report back on this quite a while ago.  I found that by
disabling the plugin called "Prevent Sending Spam" seems to have solved
the problem.  At least nobody is reporting any further problems...