inbox has no "old" content

Thing
Hi,

I am just trying to migrate my mail server from Debian 7 on a pi2 using sendmail, dovecot and squirrel-mail to debian9 on a x86 server using sendmail, dovecot and roundcube.

So waht I have done is tar zcvf the user's home folder and expanded it on the new server.

When I log in with roundcube my inbox is empty but all the old folders are there and have content.

I am assuming I have some config to do to get inbox populated but Im scrathcing my head as to what to look at.

When i use Thunderbird client instead I get the same issue, so am I right in assuming its a Dovecot issue?

Re: inbox has no "old" content

Chris
Hi,

Try removing the dovecot index files, eg. if the users mail dir is in
/home/user/mail/[hidden email], you would want to remove:
/home/user/mail/[hidden email]/dovecot.index*

Once they are removed, tail the dovecot log files (and perhaps turn on
debug logging) and then log in to the account again, usually if it fails
to recreate the index files (permissions?) it will write out a log
message saying that.

There is index files per sub folder as well, so if you just want to
clean them all up you could use something like this to view the list of
commands that would be ran:

cd /home/user/mail/[hidden email] && find . -iname 'dovecot.index*' -exec
echo rm -f '{}' \;

And finally run it to actually delete the files after you double check
it won't do anything bad:

cd /home/user/mail/[hidden email] && find . -iname 'dovecot.index*' -exec