roundcube sending mail, but not updating UI

SK

roundcube sending mail, but not updating UI

SK
Hello, I am having a strange problem with roundcube, and google search
could not yield anything useful.

Roundcube system:
OS : FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #1 r312349M
RC: roundcube-1.2.5,1

Email server (different from roundcube)
OS: FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #0 r309730
Exim: exim-4.87

I am using IMAP authentication from roundcube to get username and
password, so the configuration block in RC looks like

$config['smtp_server'] = 'tls://my.mailserver.com';
$config['smtp_port'] = 587;

$config['smtp_user'] = '%u';
$config['smtp_pass'] = '%p';

======

Now, the mail server is working as expected, I have users using
Thunderbird and various other android devices all exchanging email quite
happily.

 From the roundcube, the authentication works, I can see my emails, I
can click on reply or create new email.

Problem:
As I try to send email (either a new one or reply to some existing), the
UI has the pop-up at the bottom right telling me that it is sending
email. And it actually does, as is evident from the sendmail.log

[07-Jul-2017 12:10:35 +0100]: <7d7jebmi> User loggedInUser@domain
[1.2.3.4]; Message for [hidden email]; 250: OK id=1dTR9B-000K5e-EQ

However, the UI continues with the "Sending message. . ." for a while
longer and then responds
An error occured
Sending of email failed

Interestingly, the message which was sent is actually in my sent box
(thanks for that), but the UI is now stuck still in the compose window,
and if I try to click send again, I get "Invalid compose ID" in the
error log (which is expected). But in the entire process, until that
error is displayed in the UI, there is no error in the error.log

Suggestions/ideas/test-requests are welcome, as I am completely lost as
to why RC is behaving this way, and there does not seem to be much
information in google for this particular issue.

Thanks and regards
SK